A Brief History of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club

In 1882 a group of boys from the Anglican All Hallows Church in Tottenham, based in North London, decided to form a football club. The boys were also members of a cricket club called the Hotspur club, with the Hotspur name linked to Henry Percy. He was the inspiration for Shakespeare’s ‘Harry Hotspur’ and lived locally, in the fourteenth century. The new football club also adopted the name Hotspur FC, but as this meant they shared their name with another existing club, two years later a name change to Tottenham Hotspur meant any confusion would be avoided.

The first games were played on Tottenham Marshes and the club’s colours varied considerably, often inspired by the successful teams around at the time. There were also changes to the home ground, with a move to Northumberland Park in 1888, before another venue change in 1899; one year after the club became a limited company. This second move was to Gilpin Park, which was originally a market garden and would remain the club’s home until the present day; with the venue later becoming much better known as White Hart Lane. The turn of the twentieth century brought Spurs’ first big success stories, as they won the Southern League in 1900 and the FA Cup in 1901 – the only non-League club ever to achieve this honour.

Tottenham Hotspur were eventually allowed entry; after previous disappointments, to the Football League in 1908 and won promotion on their very first attempt. 1921 brought a second FA Cupเข้าระบบ ufabet ไม่ผ่านเอเย่นต์ victory and since that year a cockerel has always featured on Spurs’ crests. The cockerel association is again from Harry Hotspur and his fighting cocks that were fitted with spurs, and the iconic image of the cockerel standing on top of a football, that has formed a major part of the identity of the club, comes from the bronze cast former player William James Scott made in 1909, that was placed on top of the famous West Stand.

An FA Cup win in 1921 yielded profits that allowed the club to build a terrace with cover at the end known as Paxton Rd and two years later; another at Park Lane end. The new capacity of 58,000 provided cover for 40,000, until another stand at the Worcester Ave end; christened the East Stand, lifted capacity to around 80,000.

Pitch renovation in 1952 was followed by the introduction of floodlights, which were upgraded in 1957 and this caused the removal of the cockerel to the East stand from the West. In 1961 pylons were fitted for the floodlights, and the West stand was later updated and replaced.

To conform with modern laws regarding all-seat stadiums; the capacity in 1998 became 36,310.